ADVERTISE IN BIRTH ISSUES
Birth Issues readers' lives are changing and they need information about services and products – it's all new to them. As people who think for themselves, about pregnancy, birth and childcare, they carefully consider the information provided to them in Birth Issues. We strive to offer a variety of advertisements relating to pregnancy, childbirth and parenting to these inquisitive and busy readers.
Birth Issues accepts (indeed actively solicits) advertising. We have a distribution of 10,000 issues every 6 months, as well as a website with growing traffic. Birth Issues is mostly distributed in Alberta, but can also be found on the stands in Ontario, Nova Scotia and British Columbia. All 64 pages are professionally designed. The cover is a colour glossy and the inside pages are black and white inkies.
For a sample copy and advertiser information packet, please contact the Birth Issues ad representative at
. Read below for advertising rates, specifications, and deadlines.
When you advertise in Birth Issues
- your ad reaches 10,000 or more Canadian families
- your events are listed in the Birth Issues calendar of events
- your business can be showcased if you become a featured photographer
- showcase your business by being a featured photographer
- have your photography featured in colour on the front cover of Birth Issues
- have 6 of your photos featured inside Birth Issues
- have a free description of your business in Birth Issues
- TIF graphic file, 300 to 600 dpi resolution at 100% size
- PDF file -- must be print-optimized resolution (PDFs for screen-viewing only will not do)
- EPS PC or Macintosh graphic file, with fonts converted to outlines (from Adobe Illustrator) (or curves (from CorelDRAW) or paths (from Macromedia FreeHand)
- Please provide files as an e-mail attachment. Compress files using WinZip or StuffIt to reduce file size and protect them during e-mail transfer
- Camera-ready artwork (hard copy to be scanned)
In addition to meeting the specified technical requirements for publication, all advertising, photography & artwork intended for publication in Birth Issues must meet the following criteria:
- It must not contradict the stated goals of ASAC.
- It must accurately reflect current research; claims must be supported by medical or scientific research.
- It must comply with the World Health Organisation (WHO) Code on the Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes.
It is the responsibility of the advertising representative to ensure that this policy is communicated to advertisers. In the event of a questionable ad, the ASAC board shall determine if submitted ads comply with requirements.
In the event that an ad not in compliance is found during the proofing process, the editor will remove the ad in question. Time-permitting, the advertiser will be given the opportunity to correct the ad. If it is not possible to correct the ad, the advertiser may choose between having payment refunded or a corrected ad published in the next issue.
Deadlines for ads and payments are:
- February 15 for spring publication
- August 15 for fall publication
Rates may change without notice. GST is not applicable.
Ad rates are summarized below.
- Outside back cover, full page, colour glossy: 8" wide x 10.625" tall plus 1/4" bleeds = $550
- Inside front cover or inside back cover, full page, black & white glossy: 8" wide x 10.625" tall plus 1/4" bleeds = $440
- Inside full page, black & white: 7" wide x 9.625" tall (no bleed) = $385
- Half page (horizontal): 7" wide x 4.5" tall = $220
- Half page (vertical): 3.4" wide x 9.125" tall = $220
- Quarter page (vertical): 3.4" wide x 4.5" tall = $115
- Sixth page (vertical) : 2.2" wide x 4.5" tall = $77
- Eighth page (horizontal): 3.4" wide x 2.2" tall = $60
If an ad is not paid a month before Birth Issues hits the stands, the ad will not be published.
For more information about advertising in Birth Issues, contact Amanda McEachern, the ad representative, at